The Huawei Mate X2 takes Huawei foldable smartphone technology up a notch. It’s a significant upgrade to both the first-Gen Huawei Mate X and the Mate Xs. The upgrades are wrapped around practicality and capability, which is geared towards making the Huawei Mate X2 a foldable smartphone that can also serve well as a normal smartphone.
Huawei Mate X2 Key Specs and Features
- 8.0 inches OLED Display, 2200 x 2480 Pixels, 413 PPI (Unfolded)
- 6.45-inches OLED Display, 1160 x 2700 Pixels, (Folded)
- Android 10, EMUI 11, No Google Play Services
- Octa-core HiSilicon Kirin 9000 5G (5nm) Processor
- 8GB RAM
- 256GB / 512GB Built-in Storage
- 50MP + 12MP + 8MP + 16MP Quad Rear Cameras
- 16MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (Side-Mounted)
- Fast Charging (55W Capacity)
- 4500mAh Non-removable Li-Po Battery
One of the key characteristics of a good foldable smartphone is apt practicability. As an enthusiast, you certainly do not want to have a foldable device that doesn’t really fit into your daily lifestyle or one whose operation feels more like a chore.
Huawei’s previous deployment wasn’t really a winner for many. Having to think of a smartphone that has its display wrapped around its chassis, actually feels like getting set for a chore. Holding it when folded is going to feel a bit weird, plus you would have to go an extra mile for protection, which in turn means you won’t actually be at ease.
The emergence of the Huawei Mate X2 shows Huawei sort of listened to enthusiasts and thus made a more practicable design that takes cues from the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G.
The Mate X2 ditches the out folding mechanism that we saw on its predecessors and moves on to having an in-folding design, which leaves us traditional smartphone look when the foldable smartphone is folded.
The outer display is a 6.45-inch OLED display with a resolution of 1160 x 2700 Pixels, a density of 456 PPI, and a 90Hz refresh rate.
The rear on the outer cover bears a square camera module with four cameras and an LED flash. You will also find the Huawei branding, which indicates its a Huawei smartphone.
The rear covering of the Mate X2 is made entirely of glass, while the frame has aluminum. There isn’t any word on IP rating, so users should avoid their device from being submerged in water. Enthusiasts who decide to purchase this device will have four colour options and they include Black, White, Light Blue, Rose Gold.
Moving to unfold the Huawei Mate X2, we discover a display that is reminiscent of the Mate Xs’s. This display is 8.0 inches in size. It has a resolution of 2200 x 2480 Pixels, a density of 413 PPI, and a 90Hz refresh rate, which falls behind the 120Hz refresh rate on the Galaxy Z Fold 2.
Being a slouch is one Hauwei’s isn’t when it comes to smartphone cameras. They have over the years held the position as one of the leaders in the advancement of smartphone camera technology. This is greatly seen on its flagship smartphones.
The Huawei Mate X2 carries on that trait. It is armed with a flagship set of cameras, with the rear department being the chief.
On the rear, we have a single 50MP camera with an aperture of f/1.9, a 12MP telephoto camera with an aperture of f2/.4. This standard telephoto camera supports 3x optical zoom. There is also an 8MP periscope telephoto camera with an aperture of f/4.4 and 10x optical zoom.
The last member of the rear camera department is a 16MP ultrawide camera with an aperture of f/2.2. The rear camera department is capable of shooting videos up to 4k @ 60fps. Please refer to the spec sheet for the other video recording modes.
There isn’t any camera on the unfolded display, this means users will have to rely on the 16MP camera on the cover display. This camera has an aperture of f/2.2 and is capable of shooting videos up to 1080p @ 30fps.
Hardware and Software
Since they came into existence, Foldable phones have always been paired with a high-end smartphone, it sort of completes the sophisticatedness foldable phones portray. Huawei hasn’t been a slouch over the years and they aren’t backing down now.
Onboard the Huawei Mate X2 octa-core Hi-Silicon Kirin 9000 5G processor, which the same processor featured on the Huawei Mate 40 Pro released last year.
The other performance facilitators include Mali-G78 MP24 GPU, 8GB RAM, an option for either 256GB or 512GB of internal storage, and a non-removable 4500mAh battery, which has a rated capacity of 4400 mAh.
Enthusiasts will also have the luxury of a 55W fast charge mechanism, via USB cable. Huawei didn’t really make any comment on wireless charging, which is a pointer to the fact that there may not have wireless charging support.
On the software side, the EMU 11 user interface running on top of the Android 10 operating system. Like the other Huawei smartphones, the Mate X2 doesn’t come with Google Services. This is to say enthusiasts won’t have access to services like the Playstore, Gmail app, and lots more.
The Huawei Mate X2 features a USB-C port, Bluetooth 5.2, an IR Blaster, and NFC. Please note that there isn’t a headphone jack on the device, this means private audio listening will be done through either a wireless headphone or a USB-C headphone.
Internet connectivity is capped at 5G, which means enthusiasts would be able to utilize 5G connectivity for internet operations like streaming, downloads, and uploads.
Huawei Mate X2 Price and Availability
The price of the Huawei Mate X2 starts at around $2,785 for the standard 8GB / 256GB variant, this price translates to about 1,061,308 Naira in Nigeria, 305,682 KSH in Kenya, and 16,023 GHC in Ghana.
Enthusiasts who decide to purchase the maxed out 8GB / 512GB variant will have to churn out about $2,940.
The Huawei Mate X2 was announced on February 22nd, 2021, and is expecting to be available for purchase as of February 25th, 2021.
Huawei Mate X2 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Huawei X2:
- Platform: Android 10, EMUI 11, No Google Play Services
- Processor: Kirin 9000 5G (5 nm) (Octa-core 1×3.13 GHz Cortex-A77 & 3×2.54 GHz Cortex-A77 & 4×2.05 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G78 MP24
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Colours: Black, White, Light Blue, Rose Gold
- Dimension: Unfolded: 161.8 x 145.8 x 8.2 mm – Folded: 161.8 x 74.6 x 14.7 mm
- Weight: 295 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: Unfolded: 8.0-inch Foldable OLED, 2200 x 2480 Pixels (~413 PPI density), 90Hz Refresh Rate – Cover Display: 6.45 OLED, 1160 x 2700 Pixels, 456 PPI.
- Screen Protection: –
- Foldable Display: Yes
- Rear Camera: 50MP (Primary) f/1.9 + 12MP (Telephoto) f/2.4, 3x optical zoom+ 8MP (Periscope Telephoto) f/4.4, 10x optical zoom + 16MP (Ultrawide) f/2.2
- Rear Camera Features: Leica optics, LED flash, Panorama, HDR, PDAF, Laser AF, OIS [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/60fps, gyro-EIS
- Front Camera: 16MP Camera, f/2.2, HDR, Panorama, [email protected]
- Built-in Storage: 256GB / 512GB
- Memory Card Support: –
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 2/3/5/8(850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: 1/2/3/4/5/6/8/19
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/12/17/18/19/20/26/34/38/39/40/41
- 5G: n1/n3/n28(TX: 703MHz-733MHz, RX: 758MHz-788MHz)/n38/n40/n41/n77/n78/n79/n80/n84
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, NavIC
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.2, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: Yes
- USB Port: USB Type-C 3.1, USB On-The-Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: –
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, NavIC
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: –
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (Side-Mounted)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: –
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: –
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-Removable 4500 mAh Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 55W Fast Charging Capacity