Xenophobia: Red Line Drawn Against South Africa – Onyeama, Foreign Affairs Minister

  Recent Updates

,,,High Commissioner to return home after Buhari receives report of special envoy -Minister

,,,,,Confirms Nigeria’s withdrawal from economic forum

The Federal Government has confirmed that Nigeria’s High Commissioner to  South Africa, Ambassador Kabiru Bala, will return home.

However, it clarified that this would be after the special envoy President Muhammadu Buhari sent to President Cyril Ramaphosa, would have concluded the assignment and reported back to the President.

ALSO READ >>  France To Honor 2 Ohio Veterans For WWII Service

The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr Geoffrey Onyeama, who gave an update on the government’s stance on the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa, said that envoy was expected back to Nigeria by the “end of the week.”

On the recall of the high commissioner, Onyeama stated that it was one of the options considered long before now, adding that it was the wish of the government that the ambassador had returned home already.

ALSO READ >>  FSL Group Offers N100bn Project Funding Support To Imo Govt

He stated, “It’s one of the options; that he should come back. But, he will come back after the special envoy has returned to brief Mr President.”

But, on Nigeria’s participation at the World Economic Forum on Africa to be held in Cape Town, South Africa, from September 4 to 6, the minister confirmed the country’s withdrawal.

ALSO READ >>  [Music] Remi Crown – African Juice

He stated that Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo was delegated by Buhari to attend the summit, but explained that the President later asked him to withdraw, following the xenophobic attacks.

Onyeama also said information available to government so far indicated that not a single Nigerian had been killed so far.

However, he admitted that their property were vandalised, a reason the government demanded compensation payments.

LEAVE A COMMENT