In this article, will be seeing some very important facts will you’ll love to know about the news Chief Of Army Staff, Major-General Yahaya Farouk. Major-General Yahaya Farouk was recently appointed as the Chief Of Army Staff following the death of Major General Ibrahim Attahiru, who died in a military plane crash that occurred on the 21st of May, 2021 in Kaduna State.
About Major-General Yahaya Farouk
According to the statement from the Defence Headquarters release, Major-General Yahaya Farouk served as the General Officer Commanding 1 Division, Nigerian Army before handing over to Major General Usman Mohammed on April 2020.
He later assumed duty as the new Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole (OPLD) in Maiduguri, Borno State. He took over the position from Major-General Olusegun Adeniyi, who was redeployed to the Nigerian Army Resource Centre as Senior Research Fellow.
Yahaya also led the Commander of 4 Brigade Headquarters of the Nigerian Army.
In 2019, he led the Operation CLEAN SWEEP for one clearance operation to flush out bandits in Kuduru forest, Birnin Gwari Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
Major General Farouk Yahaya is a member of 37 Regular Course of the Nigerian Defense Academy Kaduna and hails from Zamfara State.
He is a devoted Muslim.
Farouk Yahaya (born January 5, 1966) is a Nigerian Army Major General and current Chief of Army Staff appointed by the president of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari on 27 May 2021, after the death of the former Chief of Army Staff, Ibrahim Attahiru who died in a Beechcraft King Air 350i plane crash near Kaduna International Airport.
Major General Farouk Yahaya was a member of 37 Regular Course of the Nigerian Defence Academy in Kaduna.
Yahaya has served in various capacities, including as Garrison Commander of the Guards Brigade, Staff at the Armed Forces Command and Staff College (AFCSC), Deputy Director Army Headquarters Department of Military Secretary, Deputy Director Army Research and Development and the Chief of Staff, Headquarters Joint Task Force Operation Pulo Shield. He also served as the Principal General Staff Officer to the Minister of Defence. Prior to his appointment as the Chief of Army Staff, Yahaya was the General Officer Commanding of 1st Division.
Things You Should Know About Farouk Yahaya
The President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday appointed Major General Farouk Yahaya as the new Chief of Army Staff.
Here’s what you should know about the new COAS:
1. Prior to his appointment Major General Yahaya was the General Officer Commanding 1 Division of the Nigerian Army
2. He was the Theatre Commander of the counter terrorism military outfit in the North East code named Operation HADIN KAI.
3. He is the 22nd Chief of Army Staff in Nigeria.
4. He had also served as Military Secretary (MS) Army at Army headquarters in Abuja before his appointment as GOC 1 division in Kaduna.
5. At one time, he was the Commander of 4 Brigade Headquarters of the Nigerian Army.
6. The new COAS is a member of the Regular Combatant Course 37.
7. Yahaya is the third Chief of Army Staff appointed by Buhari.
Yahaya is married and has four children.