WHAT YOU SHOULD AND SHOULD DO AND NOT DO IN THE EVENT OF A SNAKEBITE
HOW TO KNOW IF YOU’VE BEEN BITTEN BY A SNAKE
It is a medical emergency when someone has been bitten by a poisonous snake. You may not be sure if you’ve been bitten by a snake, especially when it has happened in water or around tall grasses.
These are symptoms to look out for in the event of uncertainty:
• Redness or swelling around the wound
• Two puncture marks at the wound.
• Severe pain.
• Sweating excessively
• Difficulty in breathing
• Blurry vision
• Tingling sensations in the fingers, toes, or area around the wound.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU GET A SNAKE BITE
• Don’t get paranoid. Stay calm and call for help.
• Try to get to the nearest hospital if you’re certain of the geography of the area.
• Don’t move about a lot and keep the wound just below your heart level so as to reduce the spread of the venom.
• Remove any tight clothing or jewellery near the wound before swelling starts.
• Wash the bite with soap and water.
• Cover with a clean, dry bandage.
• Visit your doctor or hospital.
What NOT TO DO if You or Someone Else is Bitten by a Snake
• Do not pick up the snake or try to trap it (this may put you or someone else at risk for a bite).
• Do not apply a tourniquet.
• Do not slash the wound with a knife.
• Do not suck out the venom.
• Do not apply ice or immerse the wound in water.
• Do not drink alcohol as a pain killer.
• Do not drink caffeinated beverages