The Lenovo Legion 2 Pro brings to light Lenovo provisions for the second generation series of Lenovo Legion gaming smartphones. This release comes after the first generation Lenovo Legion Pro. On-board this new smartphone, is an hardware powerful enough to go toe to toe with the likes of the Asus ROG Phone 5 Ultimate, which has been described as one of the most powerful smartphones.
Lenovo Legion 2 Pro Key Specs & Features
- 6.92 inch AMOLED Display, 1080 x 2460 Pixels (388 PPI), HDR10+, 144Hz Refresh Rate
- Android 11, Legion OS
- Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 5G (5 nm)
- 8GB / 12GB / 16GB / 18GB RAM
- 128GB / 256GB / 512GB Built-in Storage
- 64MP + 16MP Dual Rear cameras
- 44MP Motorized Pop-up Front Camera
- 5G Support
- 6 pressure-sensitive zones (Gaming triggers)
- 4 ultrasonic buttons (top), 2 capacitive sliding buttons (back)
- Fingerprint Scanner (Under Display, Optical)
- Fast Charging (Up to 90W Capacity)
- 5000 mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
Much like its predecessor, the Lenovo Legion 2 Pro features a design that’s from being subtle, a design that has the tendency to awake your inquisitiveness. This is mostly true on the rear.
On the rear, we have a centralized divider bearing the conspicuous legion emblem, the legion branding, dual cameras, an LED flash an outlet for the fan. On the left and right sides of the divider, are two slabs with higher bumps. Although the information hasn’t been laid out, there is a high chance both slabs continue halves of the total battery capacity.
The setup of front passes as being regular, one could easily see the front panel and may not bother much the details. Here we have a slate that bears a 6.92 inch AMOLED display surrounded by minimal bezels.
Highlights of this display include a resolution of 1080 x 2460 pixels, a density of 368 PPI, HDR10+ support, and a 144Hz refresh rate.
The Lenovo Legion 2 Pro’s chassis build comprises Gorilla glass 5 upfront, glass on the back, and aluminum on the frame. Enthusiasts who decide to purchase this device will have dual colour options and they include Titanium White and Ultimate Black.
Having gaming controls on the chassis is gradually becoming a norm on gaming smartphones. The reason for this isn’t far-fetched. These controls help enthusiasts achieve a wider screen estate.
The Lenovo Legion 2 Pro’s provision includes 6 pressure-sensitive zones, which can also be referred to as game triggers. We also have 4 ultrasonic buttons on the top and 2 capacitive sliding buttons on the back.
In my opinion, gaming smartphones aren’t really built to offer the best cameras, the attention isn’t really focused on the cameras. However, Lenovo didn’t leave things unattended.
Onboard the rear camera setup is a single 64MP primary camera with an aperture of f/1.9 and a 16MP ultrawide camera with an aperture of f/2.2 and a 123˚ field of view. The video record on this camera setup is capped at 8k @ 24fps.
Comparing the number of cameras on this rear setup to the ones we have sort of becoming accustomed to seeing on high-end smartphones, shows a reduced number of cameras. But again, having the best cameras isn’t the goal.
Moving upfront, we have a single 44MP selfie camera with an aperture of f/2.0. This camera is capable of shooting videos up to 4k @ 30fps.
Hardware and Software
One of the features selling and imperative features of gaming smartphones is high-end hardware. They are known to feature specs that can be described as overkill. The Lenovo Legion 2 Pro is certainly not a slouch.
Onboard we have the top of the line Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 processor as seen on the likes of the Black Shark 4 Pro, an Adreno 660 GPU, 8GB / 12GB / 16GB / 18GB RAM options, 128GB / 256GB / 512GB storage options and a non-removable 5000mAh Li-Po battery.
What’s more, consumers will be served with a 90W fast charging mechanism, if they plug two chargers in the dual USB ports. However, enthusiasts will be served with 65W fast charging if they occupy one USB port.
On the software side, the Lenovo Legion 2 Pro runs the Legion OS ontop of the Android 11 operating system.
The Lenovo legion Pro features two USB type-c ports, NFC, Bluetooth 5.0, and lots more. Please note that it doesn’t feature a headphone jack. Private audio listening is done with USB-C headphones or wireless headphones.
Internet connectivity is capped at 5G, which means enthusiasts can stream, download, and upload at 5G speed provided they are in an area with 5G reception.
Lenovo Legion 2 Pro Price and Availability
Lenovo Legion Pro price starts at around $870 for the 12GB RAM / 256GB storage variant, which translates to 331,017 Naira in Nigeria, 93,916 KSH in Kenya, and 5,020 GHC in Ghana.
The Lenovo Legion Pro was announced on April 8th, 2021, and is expected to be released for purchase later in April.
Lenovo Legion 2 Pro Specs
Here are a few specs of the Lenovo Legion 2 Pro:
- Platform: Android 11, Legion OS
- Processor: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 5G (5 nm) (2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 2.42 GHz Kryo 680 tri-core & 1.80 GHz Kryo 680 quad-core)
- GPU: Adreno 660
- Memory: 8GB / 12GB / 16GB / 18GB
- Colours: Titanium White, Ultimate Black
- Dimension: 176 x 78.5 x 9.9 mm
- Weight: 259 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.92 inches AMOLED, 1080 x 2460 Pixels (~388 PPI Density), ~82.3% screen-to-body ratio, 144Hz, HDR10+
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 64MP (Primary) f/1.9 + 16MP (Ultrawide) f/2.2, 123˚FOV
- Rear Camera Features: Dual-LED Flash, Panorama, HDR, [email protected], [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/60/240fps, gyro-EIS, HDR10+ Record
- Front Camera: 44MP Motorized pop-up Camera, f/2.0, [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/60/120fps
- Built-in Storage: 128GB , 256GB, 512GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: 800 & TD-SCDMA
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.2, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: Two USB Type-C (2.0 & 3.1), USB On-The-Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: –
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: Dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS, QZSS
- Maps: –
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: –
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, Under the display, Optical
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: –
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: –
- Image Editor: –
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-Removable 5500mAh Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes, 65W (single USB-C port) – 90W (dual USB-C ports)