Goods worth millions of naira were destroyed in a fire disaster triggered by a gas explosion on Tuesday in Ilorin, the Kwara State capital.
According to the spokesman of the state fire service, Hassan Hakeem Adekunle, in Ilorin on Wednesday, the fire disaster was caused by an accidental discharge from a damaged hose which suddenly burst during the gas delivery process at a gas retail shop.
The incident occurred at about 16.38hours at Mayegun Junction, Alagbado Specialist Hospital area of Ilorin metropolis.
Firefighters were, however, able to bring the fire under control within record time.
At least seven container shops were affected in the fire incident, while one person was injured.
The injured person, said to be the wife of the owner of the gas retail shop, reportedly lost N2m cash kept in the shop to the fire incident.
She was said to have been rushed to a nearby Fatimah Hospital for medical attention but later moved to another medical facility in Ilorin for comprehensive treatment.
Another victim of the fire incident, Mrs Bashirat Bashir, lamented that she lost goods worth N2m to the inferno as she had just stocked her shop with goods for Sallah sales.
Director of the state fire service, Prince Falade John Olumuyiwa, while reacting to the incident, advised both fuel stations and gas plants to procure all necessary safety equipment at their various stations.
He equally urged the public to be safety conscious in handling such delicate items.