The FA has launched an investigation after flares were let off during Liverpool’s 3-1 win over Manchester City in the Community Shield on Saturday.
Goals from Trent Alexander-Arnold, Mohamed Salah and Darwin Nunez helped Liverpool win the season’s curtain-raiser at Leicester’s King Power Stadium, where red smoke covered the field of play at times.
The FA released a statement, saying: ‘We are aware of incidents during the FA Community Shield where flares were used in the stands.
‘The use of smoke bombs or pyrotechnics in a football stadium is dangerous, illegal and could have severe consequences,’ the FA said in a statement.
‘We can confirm that we are investigating the matter and will be working with the relevant authorities, the clubs and the police to identify the individuals involved and we will take appropriate action.
‘We expect the club to also investigate these incidents and to implement the new rules where applicable.’
FA has launched an investigation after flares were let off during Liverpool’s win over Man City.
Red smoke covered the field of play at times in the match at Leicester’s King Power Stadium
The FA, Premier League and Football League announced stricter sanctions just last week
The FA, Premier League and Football League last week announced stricter sanctions for pitch invasions and the use of smoke bombs and pyrotechnics, and announced automatic club bans for the offences.
Pitch invaders and fans with flares will face automatic club bans in a football-wide crackdown aimed at curtailing the worrying rise in criminal behaviour at matches.
As well as pitch invasions, the FA, Premier League and EFL are aiming to reduce the presence of pyrotechnics and smoke bombs. They want to crack down on those who throw objects as well as drug use and discriminatory behaviour.
The use of smoke bombs and pyrotechnics will also come with a club ban from this season
‘These acts are dangerous, illegal and have severe consequences,’ the joint-statement added yesterday. ‘They have no place in football, or anywhere.’
There will be enhanced stadium entry searches from the start of the 2022-23 season and increased use of sniffer dogs at grounds.
The FA, Premier League and EFL have also written to policing minister Tom Pursglove requesting a review of the laws on the sale of pyrotechnics and smoke bombs. Ring-pull smoke grenades are available for as little as £3 online.
FA CEO Mark Bullingham said the sanctions send a message that ‘we will not tolerate this type of illegal and dangerous behaviour’.
Aston Villa pair Matty Cash and Lucas Digne were hit with a bottle thrown from an Everton section of the stadium during a match at Goodison Park in January this year
Earlier last season, Burnley’s Matt Lowton was hit by a Coke bottle at Leeds United
Read Also: EPL: Werner accepts 50% pay cut to force through Chelsea exit
Premier League counterpart Richard Masters added: ‘We are making clear the type of incidents we saw last season must stop. If we don’t take collective and sustained action, it may only be a matter of time before someone is seriously injured, or worse.’
Football Supporters’ Association chief executive Kevin Miles said: ‘We are contacted by supporters on a fairly regular basis who have been caught jumping on the pitch, or with pyro in the stands, and without exception they regret doing it.
‘Whether they had positive intentions or not is irrelevant in the eyes of the law — pyro and pitch incursions are illegal, you will be prosecuted and you will be banned by your club.’