The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Media and Communications Officer (PAP)
Requisition ID: 1401
Location: South Africa
Reports to: Head of Administration and Human Resources
Directorate/Department : Finance, Administration and Human Resources (FAHR)
Division: Communication and IT Unit
Job Grade: P3
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- To provide strategic communication guidance to build a good image of the Pan-African Parliament and promote increased visibility of its objectives and activities.
- Develops, reviews and implements the PAP communication and branding strategies.
- Manages the Communication and Media Unit’s Work Programme and Budget.
- Builds and promotes a good image of the Pan-African Parliament in alignment to the AU Agenda 2063.
- Spearheads advocacy and public campaigns continent-wide in favor of the PAP’s vision, mission and strategic plan and for the purpose of popularizing the PAP within Africa and in the world.
- Regularly monitors communication efforts to ensure maximum return on investment.
- Manages the PAP website.
- Develops and supervises the implementation of the PAP social media strategy.
- Drafts speeches and position papers for the PAP Secretariat Management.
- Produces Media Plans and Press Releases.
- Manages the Broadcasting facility and supervises the Broadcast Team.
- Organizes and presides over media briefings and other speaking engagements at local and international events.
- Organizes media interviews for the Bureau, Members of the Pan African Parliament, and occasionally for the Clerk of Parliament.
- Develops and maintains networks with National and International partners, all National Parliaments of the African Union Member States and Heads of media institutions, etc.
- Implements and manages a communication strategy to advance PAP objectives and initiatives.
- Provides strategic guidance on the communication activities of PAP including coordination, advocacy and communication strategies, planning and implementation.
- Participates in the Crisis Management Group as the media expert and contributes to developing media strategies in response to crises that have a potential to impact our brand and reputation.
- Works with Committee Clerks, Goodwill Ambassadors, PAP International Relations Office and the Policy Officer, Resource Mobilization Officer to identify highest-priority areas requiring funding support to communicate to development partners
- Works with Regional and National Parliaments to develop materials to compellingly communicate the work and achievements of the PAP.
- Provides communications support to PAP statutory and non-statutory meetings including special events/workshops/meetings and conferences.
- Provides editorial advice, statements and replies to frequently asked questions for Senior Management and Parliamentarians.
- Develops and disseminates holistic messages targeted to different stakeholders.
- Works closely with the Bureau Office, Information Technology, AU Directorate of Information & Communication, the PAP Webmaster and Committee Clerks to develop and/or update the information, communication and knowledge management strategy based on PAP’s strategic plan.
- Develops materials to compellingly communicate evidence and lead new approaches to creates and distributes multi-media content including the use of social media;
- Drafts all external communications and keeps the PAP website updated.
- Initiates and/or sustains professional relationship with key stakeholders/constituencies.
- Drafts development partner engagement plan including development of communication materials and a relationship development plan to meet with and engage development partners.
- Monitors events and analyzes documents to identify trends, opportunities and risks and prepare appropriate PAP action plans or responses.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Master’s Degree or its equivalent in Communications, Journalism, Broadcasting, Public and Media Relations or related field, with a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant work experience in the area of corporate communication, journalism, advocacy with at least three (3) years at a supervisory level in an international organisation.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in the above mentioned fields with ten (10) years of experience and at least three (3) at a supervisory level in an international organisation.
- The successful candidate is expected to be creative and have the ability to interact harmoniously and effectively in a multi-cultural environment with colleagues from diverse disciplines, perspectives, countries and cultures.
- Ability to work under pressure, setting priorities and managing multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Have skills and experience in the production and distribution of printed publications as well as audio-visual and e-content development.
- High ethical standards, integrity and a deep sense of fairness.
- Good knowledge of the African Union system.
- Possess excellent interpersonal, networking, negotiation and communication skills.
- He/she must have the ability to make objective decisions and resolve problems, exercising the highest sense of responsibility in the handling of confidential and sensitive issues.
- Ability to contribute to strategic thinking with a view to improving media and communication services to all PAP stakeholders.
- Strategic Insight
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence
- Managing Risk
- Core Competencies
- Analytical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge and information sharing..
- Drive for Results
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 37,453.00 (P3 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (57% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 21,832.68 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 24th October, 2022.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered