The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Interpreter – Translator / French (PAP)
Requisition ID: 1435
Location: Midrand, South Africa
Reports to: Head of Plenary, Hansard, Interpretation &Translation
Directorate/Department : Plenary, Hansard, Interpretation & Translation (PHIT)
Division : PHIT
Job Grade: P4
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- To provide simultaneous and/or consecutive interpretation from English to French
- To translate documents from English into French
- Provides proper, clear, faithful simultaneous interpretation from French to English during conferences and meetings of the Parliament using standard, clear and accurate language.
- Provides consecutive interpretation when required during audiences and of statements during conferences, meetings, discussions etc.
- Uses exact understanding of PAP technical terminologies.
- Facilitates and participate in the development of PAP’s terminology/lexicons.
- Translates documents from English into French, ensuring the highest standard of accuracy and maintaining the spirit, context, quality, technical language and nuances of the original version using precise, clear, and proper terminologies.
- Keeps abreast of developments in the field of languages, both in the source and target languages, by compiling and regularly updating specific terminologies, phrases, acronyms, and special expressions in order to widen and deepen vocabulary with the aim of enhancing skills and ability.
- Performs any other related duty as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
- Provides proper, clear, faithful consecutive and simultaneous interpretation mainly from English to French and also, preferably, from Portuguese, Spanish, Swahili or Arabic to French during various conferences and meetings of the Pan-African Parliament using standard, clear and accurate language;
- Translates, mainly from English to French, and also, preferably, from Portuguese, Spanish, Swahili or Arabic to French highly sensitive and technical documents from various sources, using Translation Memory, Terminology databases, and a whole range of CAT tools ensuring the highest standard of quality, accuracy, faithfulness to the spirit, style and nuances of the original document;
- Edits French language original documents before they are sent for translation;
- Works with client units to develop terminology, as well as ensure compliance with established terminology and consistency;
- Contributes to the development and sharing of terminology within the Division and with all the internal and external stakeholders;
- Contributes to the performance evaluation of external interpreters and translators;
- Revises translations of complex and sensitive documents covering the full range of the Pan-African Parliament’s work;
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Master’s Degree in Languages and a professional qualification from a recognised school of Interpretation/Translation with ten (10) years relevant work experience in interpretation/translation in an institution or international meetings on diverse issues with 6 years at Expert/Specialist level and 3 years at supervisory level. OR
- Bachelor’s Degree in Languages and a professional qualification from a recognised school of Interpretation/Translation with twelve (12) years relevant work experience in interpretation/translation in an institution or international meetings on diverse issues with 6 years at Expert/Specialist level and 3 years at supervisory level.
- Knowledge and use of interpretation and translation tools is required.
- Ability to do simultaneous and consecutive interpretation from English to French
- Ability to translate from English to French, using modern translation tools such as Trados
- Typing skills that enables one to produce his/her own work independently
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority with regard to performance management and professional development
- Fluency in any other AU official working languages (Portuguese, Arabic, Spanish, and Kiswahili) is an added advantage.
- Strategic Perspective
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
- Building relationships
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing:
- Drive for Results
- Fosters Innovation
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 42,879.00 (P4 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (57% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 24,561.84 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Applications Deadline 24th October, 2022.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal-opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply