The European Climate Foundation (ECF) is a major philanthropic initiative working to help tackle the climate crisis by fostering the development of a net-zero emission society at the national, European and global level. We support over 500 partner organisations to carry out activities that drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of the objectives of the Paris Agreement, contribute to the public debate on climate action and help deliver a socially responsible transition to a net-zero economy and sustainable society in Europe and around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nigeria Country Lead, Strategic Communications
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Category: Strategic Communications
Start date: As soon as possible
- We are recruiting a Nigeria Country Lead to drive political and communications work in the country as part of an international network of strategic communications professionals in the field of climate and energy. The role offers a unique opportunity for an individual with a sincere interest in Nigeria and African politics, economy and environment to work with a talented team and play an active role in promoting sustainable development, clean energy and climate justice.
- We are looking for someone with a sound understanding of national, regional and global media narratives on climate, who can drive network strategy at the country level, while supporting regional work in West Africa.
- The Country Lead should be an experienced and highly driven communications strategist in both social and traditional media. A team leader who can scope, plan, build, oversee and direct work for the Nigeria country desk that will have two full time employees at the start, work with partners and help them interface with a regional and international network of communications experts.
- The ideal candidate will be someone with a track record of having developed teams via remote management, experience working across different geographies and cultures, and a proven ability to build and maintain trust with colleagues.
- The Country Lead will drive impactful results through developing and implementing creative strategies that shift the media debate and public discourse on social, political and environmental issues.
- A considerable amount of work is focused on building alliances and alignment with new and existing partners, so strong diplomatic and negotiation skills are important. Further information will be provided to candidates selected for interviews.
The Country Lead will report to the Network Director, Africa, Strategic Communications and will be responsible for:
- Designing and implementing political and communications plans and strategies at the national level in Nigeria that are aligned and effective in supporting the organisation’s mission,
- Delivering strategic communication interventions at key international moments such as during the UN climate summits, supporting and linking with cross-network teams in order to enhance local-global, global-local interactions and impact; coordinating with partners from think tanks, research institutions, government officials and campaigners.
- Identifying new tools and tactics to land narratives in collaboration with digital, audience insights, and other thematic teams in the network
- Acting as the network point person for country intelligence and advice on narratives.
- Commissioning country research and investigations.
- Overseeing the recruitment and training of voices to deploy at key moments in the media debate on climate-related issues.
- Internal and external monitoring and reporting.
- Building and managing a country team and creating an inspiring team environment and proactively supporting professional development and growth of team members.
- Fostering strong links with journalists covering national and regional climate issues, briefing reporters, boosting media awareness of core narratives
- Developing and growing a network of national contacts and supporting existing partners with communications insights and tools
- A genuine interest in the mission and values of the organisation.
- Demonstrated knowledge and professional experience in the fields of strategic communications, political campaigning and/or journalism
- A solid understanding of the political and media landscape in Nigeria and across West Africa.
- A sound network of active contacts relevant to the role, with a proven track record of building media contacts.
- Ability to assess a changing landscape and develop a strategic vision, identifying the most crucial intervention points that add value to the overall discourse
- Outstanding English language skills, with a track record of producing engaging and impactful communications materials, including fundraising proposals, reporting, and communications strategies. Other languages are an asset
- The disposition to work generously with colleagues in a high-trust global community of peers.
- The strong multi-disciplinary skillset necessary to flourish in a fast-paced and wide-ranging work environment and work nimbly across phone/video conferencing, time zones, slack, email, Trello, etc.
- An understanding of climate, energy, nature issues preferred but not a must
- A commitment to an inclusive and empowering approach to facing climate change.
- Experience in managing teams and projects.
- Track record delivering effective communications strategies on complex issues
- Highly diplomatic with an ability to liaise and negotiate with a wide range of stakeholders, including experts, funders, and civil society.
- Ability to track a range of relevant and complex issues.
- Excellent time and priority management, high level of self-motivation, independence and can-do mentality, good team-player with a passion for excellence.
What We Offer
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- A full-time position with a consultant or employment contract (subject to location) for 12 months, with a possible renewal after one year.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 13th July, 2022.
Please upload below in English:
- Short Cover Letter expressing your motivation for this role
- Some international travel will be required. We may be able to provide co-working spaces in some locations.
- Only candidates with the right to work in their location will be considered.
- All applications will be treated confidentially. We will store your information in our internal database unless you specifically request otherwise.
- We are committed to diversity and inclusion in our organisation. We strongly encourage candidates from historically disadvantaged or marginalised groups to apply.