Airtel Nigeria (Airtel Networks Limited) is a leading telecommunications services provider in Nigeria headquartered in Lagos, the commercial nerve-centre of Nigeria. The telco ranks amongst the top four mobile service providers in terms of subscribers with a customer base of more than 39.8 million. The company’s product offerings include 2G, 3G and 4G wireless services, mobile commerce and enterprise services.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head, Transport Engineering
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Job type: Full-time
Level: Mid-Senior level
- This is a vital position to head and manage design & planning of network unit and providing technical solutions for connecting cell sites and enterprise customer locations for excellent customer experience.
- This person will be interacting with the Partners’ teams’ very extensively. Robust, flexible and state of art fiber and microwave transmission network planning & delivery is the essence of the role
Microwave and Fibre Network Design/Network Architecture & Design:
- Transmission Design based on optical fibre network and Microwave.
- Design the MBPN and data network
- Pre-qualification & participation in the ordered network elements based on engineering and commercial aspects.
- Identify and evaluate converging technology opportunities as well as study and evaluate market trends that apply directly and indirectly to the Airtel OpCo of assignment.
- Definition of network reference architecture designs for Airtel OpCo transmission and transport networks to support IP/TDM based mobile voice/data, enterprise and other services, with the aim at delivering clear design targets to the Africa operations to plan and execute against.
Planning & Configuration:
- Defining the Transmission planning strategy based on the company objectives.
- Defining the required network elements type, configuration and capacity.
- Defining the Transmission standards.
- Defining the network future expansion requirements based on traffic Forecast.
Vendor Selection & Management:
- Responsibilities include evaluation of and selection of vendors for transmission and transport network solutions, considering vendor’s current position within the Airtel product portfolio, strength of technology offering, and positioning of the vendor in the African continent as well as organisational needs into the future.
New Technology Evaluation:
- This includes but is not limited to point to point PDH/SDH microwave transmission, SDH/DWDM fibre transmission, VSAT, point to multi-point microwave, and ILD connectivity for Africa.
- To formulate and assist in the creation of strategy, design, planning and optimisation of Transmission Networks to achieve a cost effective network design and rollout aimed at providing adequate transmission network capacity, high grade / level of service. To formulate and direct design specification(s) and value engineering of the Airtel Africa Transmission network.
Regulatory (NCC) & Spectrum Management:
- Responsibilities include ensuring accuracy in semi-annual spectrum validation with NCC.
- Provision of support during annual field validation exercise by NCC.
- Ensuring type approval certificates are obtained for all TXMN NE elements on the network
- Ensure effective management of the Airtel network spectrum and putting controls in place to ensure strict adherence.
Skills & Knowledge
Educational Qualifications & Functional / Technical Skills:
- Bachelor of Engineering Degree in Electronics & Communications Engineering
- Sound knowledge of fibre optics network for Mobile & Enterprise Network – Planning
- Bachelor’s of Science in Telecommunications
- Experience in optical fibre networks design, DWDM
- MBPN and IP design
- Ericsson or Huawei Transmission experience is required.
- 10 years telecommunication experience
- More than 6 years’ experience in Transport Planning.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We therefore do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of, among others, their race, disability, their race, disability, religion or gender.
- All employment opportunities are decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business needs