In this article, we’ll be seeing step by step guide on how to become an Uber driver in Nigeria, plus the requirements you need to fulfil before getting accepted into the platform. Uber driving is the new goldmine for car Nigerian car owners.
I never really knew it was so lucrative until my one of my friends that does it as a side hustle told me he made up to ₦40,000 in a day from it.
Although it was an inter-state trip, ₦40,000 is something many salary earners take home at the end of the month, so cashing it out in a day is worth talking about.
What is Uber?
I’m sure you already know what the term Uber means, but permit me to talk a little about it before we proceed for the benefits of those that are still new to the term.
Uber, is an American multinational ride-hailing company offering services that include peer-to-peer ridesharing, ride service hailing, food delivery, and a micromobility system with electric bikes and scooters.
In Nigeria, Uber is currently available Lagos, Abuja and Benin. They launched operations in Benin, the capital city of Edo State, last year. If you’re in Owerri, you can consider checking out Taxify, they also offer services similar to Uber and can earn you as much as ₦8,000 to ₦10,000 per day.
How To Become An Uber Driver In Nigeria
We’ll be seeing the Uber minimum driver-partner and minimum vehicle requirements. Please note that these requirements might vary between cities, so you can always check the updates on the Uber official website.
Minimum driver-partner requirements
• Age: All drivers must be 21 years or older
• Driving experience: All potential Uber drivers are required to have at least one year of driving experience (or three years for drivers under 23).
• Drivers must have a valid driver’s license
• Drivers may be required to undergo a background and criminal check
• A valid auto insurance is also required
• You should be able to provide a proof of car registration and insurance
• Finally, you meet all the other state, local, or Uber requirements, which can be found on the Uber website
Minimum vehicle requirements
Your vehicle must be in an excellent working condition and you should have a working radio, air conditioning and four doors.
In addition all vehicles must have:
• Vehicle inspection report
• Vehicle insurance
• Roadworthiness certificate
• A valid Hackney permit
Can I Join Uber As A Driver Without Having A Car Of My Own?
Absolutely yes! You can become an Uber driver even without having access to an automobile. There are Uber partners interested in employing drivers. Yon either decide to choose a partner yourself or visit the Uber office in your city.
You can join Uber as a:
– Vehicle owner who wants to drive and earn
– Vehicle owner interested in employing someone to drive
– Driver with no access to a vehicle
How To Sign Up As An Uber Driver In Nigeria
• Visit bit.ly/UberNGDrive
• Fill in your email, full name, phone number and password
• In the space given for you to input city, type in either Abuja, Lagos or Benin. UberNigeria is only available in these three cities for now
• Input ‘igboc53wui‘ in the box written invite code.
• Click on ‘NEXT‘ to proceed
In the next page, you’d be instructed to choose how you’d like to earn with Uber.
I’ll assume you’re a vehicle owner since this is still a new account. Click on the first option and proceed.
In the next page, some documents like; your photo, driving license, valid Insurance policy and roadworthiness certificate will be required from you. Take your to submit them before taking the online test.
NOTE: Don’t hesitate in contacting the Uber support if you encounter any issues while registering.
Uber driving is really one great idea to venture into as a Nigerian, especially if you have an access to a good car.